The history of Nykvarn dates back to around 5,000 years ago, when the first stone age settlers came to Brokvarn.
In 1590 the first smithy was erected and business expanded to include a steel mill, a hardware factory and a tilt hammer.
In the early 1860’s the period of iron-processing came to an end, but already in 1848 the first paper mill was built, it became the back-bone of the community until it was finally closed in 1971.
Around 5000 years ago, stone-age individuals settled in Brokvarn. Their presence in the area is confirmed by the large quantity of remains that have been found. Rock-carvings from the Bronze Age were discovered at Vänstra, and in 1885 a large find was made of bracelets, belt ornaments and tool details.
Later still, in 1892, a Viking treasure from the 10th century was discovered, containing silver ornaments, pearls and coins.
In 1590 the first smithy was erected by Turinge Stream and the mill house “Nyqvarn" was founded. Business expanded in the 1670´s to include a steel mill, a hardware factory and a tilt hammer. The steel was of high quality and used for swords and bayonets for the Swedish army.
In the early 1860´s the period of iron-processing came to an end. However, conditions for paper manufacturing were good, and in 1848 the first paper mill was built. Due to technical development, expansion, fire and bankruptcy, the paper mill was rebuilt in all six times. In 1971 it was finally closed.